The Black Excel Newsletter
The Black Excel African American Student's College Guide is on sale at Amazon.com for $13.96. "This book will have a rallying impact on our aspiring college students." -Isaac Black, Black Excel Founder and Author
1. HBCU Graduation Rates
2. Kaplan/Newsweek “My Turn” Essay Award
3. Mid-Tenn's (formerly Nashville's) 8th Annual
Black College Tour
4. Civil Rights Monument/Historical Black College Tour 2004
5. Directory of US Art Schools
6. 17th Annual Black College Tours by EST
7. Harvard Undergraduate Internship Program for Minority Students: Summer 2004
8. Help Your Aspiring Student...
HBCU Graduation Rates
Black Excel created this list from data presented in the US. News & World Report "America's Best College" edition (2004). It's based on 2002 data, the latest available. What follows is a sampling of some of the HBCUs featured. See footnote.
- Spelman College (GA)---76%
- Claflin University (SC)---75%
- Miles College (AL)--69%*
- Fisk University (TN)---62%
- Lane College (TN)---61%
- Morehouse College (GA)---58%
- Voorhees College (SC)-- 56%*
- Tougaloo College (MS)---55%*
- Hampton University (VA)--53%
- Howard University (DC)-- 53% %
- Xavier University of Louisiana (LA)-- 52%
- Tuskegee University (AL)---51%
- South Carolina State University (SC)--51%
- Elizabeth City State University (NC)---51%
- North Carolina Central University (NC)---46%
- Winston-Salem State University--44%
- Florida A&M University (FL)--43%*
- North Carolina A&T State University (NC)--43%*
- Johnson C. Smith University (NC)---41%
- Lincoln University (PA)---40%
- Morgan State University (MD)---39%*
- Bowie State University (MD)---38*
- U, of Maryland at Eastern Shore (MD)---37*
- Virginia State University (VA)---36%
- Dillard University (LA)--36%
- Bowie State University (MD)-- 36%
- Bennett College (NC)---36%*
- Jackson State University (MS)--35%
- Bethune-Cookman (FL)---34%
- Grambling State University (LA)---31%
- Shaw University (NC)---31%
- Prairie View A&M University (TX)---31%
- Cheyney University of Pennsylvania (PA) --30%*
- Delaware State University (DE)-- 30%
- Albany State University (GA)--28%
- Clark Atlanta University (GA) --27%
- Benedict College (SC)---27%
- Coppin State University (MD)--24%
- Norfolk State University (VA)-- 23%
- Alabama State University (AL)-- 23%
- Morris Brown College (GA)-- 23%
- Central State University (OH)---22%
- Virginia Union Universuty (VA) --21%
- U. of the District of Columbia (DC)-- 20*%
Black Excel note: Our opinion is that this info is just another factor to consider during any HBCU review. Money/aid, work, and other issues particular to us shape some of these stats. The graduation rates presented indicate the percentage of students graduating within a six- year period. The asterisks beside any school/percentage means that the researchers used other means (prior stats, or other variables to estimate or approximate rates).
Kaplan/Newsweek “My Turn” Essay Award
(Deadline: March 1, 2004)
The Kaplan/Newsweek "My Turn" group, offers a competition that will award scholarships of $5,000 to $1,000 on the basis of a 500-1,000 word original essay on a topic of the student's choice in which the student shares his/her opinion, experience, or personal feeling. For more information and an entry form, go to www.kaptest.com/essay.
Mid-Tenn's (formerly Nashville's) 8th Annual
Black College Tour
Date: March 11 - 19, 2004
(Based in Nashville, TN)
This tour is given in conjunction with J.U.M.P., Inc. (Jefferson Street United Merchants Partnership, Inc.) The tours heads to 16 colleges, including Johnson C. Smith, Livingstone College, North Carolina A&T, Bennett College, Fayetteville State, Morris College, Benedict College, Claflin U., South Carolina State, Voorhees College, Savannah State, Bethune Cookman, Clark Atlanta, Morris Brown, Spelman, and Morehouse. Students will also look at (but not tour) Allen U. and U. of South Carolina. Cost is $485.00 This price includes: lodging, transportation from Nashville, TN, and most meals. Parents & chaperones can go for half price. A non-refundable deposit of $50 is due immediately. Final payment is due by March 3, 2004. Please contact Pam Thompson for extra details at 615-227-0585 (home) or 615-277-7486 (work). Cell: 615-948-7376. Address: Pam Thompson/2604 Dixon Drive/Nashville, TN 37206.
Civil Rights Monument/Historical
Black College Tour 2004
Based in San Francisco, CA
This tour is part of the "Young Scholars Program," and will cover 15 days, 22 cities, 12 states, and visit 15 colleges. Also, students will visit 10 Civil Rights and Historical Monuments. The tour will depart from SFO to Washington, DC. Schools include Howard, Bowie State, Virginia State, Hampton, North Carolina A& T, Johnson C. Smith, Morehouse, Florida A&M, Alabama State, Tuskegee, Fisk, Tennessee State, Langston, Prairie View, Southern, and Xavier. For cost and extra info, you can email J. Rushing at email@example.com or call (415) 920-5072. Address: Young Scholars Program c/o J. Rushing/1551 Newcomb Ave. Suite 102/San Francisco, CA 94124.
Directory of US Art Schools
This is a very valuable link for students who are interested in any area of art studies: advertising, fashion design, painting, animation, film, digital art, printmaking, architecture, sculpture, you name it. You can view art schools across the US and pull up their course and/or major offerings. A topnotch website/link that we will be adding to the Black
Excel website. Highly recommended. Go to: http://www.artschools.com/usa/ for overview.
17th Annual Black College Tours by EST
Two Tours: One Begins April 4th
The Other June 20th.
Based in CA
These are two tours given by Educational Student Tours. They include round-trip airfare from Los Angeles. The cost is $1,253 (installments okay). The trip includes "quality hotels," chaperones, and meals. The April tour visits Tuskegee, Clark-Atlanta, Morehouse, Spelman, Livingstone, Winston-Salem, Norfolk State, Hampton, and Howard. The June tour heads to Clark-Atlanta, Morehouse, Spelman, Tuskegee, Florida A&M, Southern University (Baton Rouge), Xavier, and Dillard. For info call (818) 891-8087 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Website:www.blackcollegetours.org. Address: EST/16850 Gresham Street/North Hills, CA 91343.
Harvard Undergraduate Internship Program
For Minority Students: Summer 2004
(Biological Sciences in Public Health)
Deadline: February 13, 2004
This INTERNSHIP is a paid, intensive nine-week research program under the direction of a Harvard faculty mentor: (June 14 - August 13, 2004). PROGRAM GOAL is to expose minority college-science students (who will be juniors or seniors in the fall of 2004) to the rewards of laboratory research directed towards solving important public health problems such as cancer, infections, etc. The overall mission of the program is to recruit qualified students for graduate-level training leading to research careers in the biological sciences. For pivotal info, go to: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/sip/.
Help Your Aspiring Student....
Don't ask, "Can my child get into Harvard, Spelman, U. of Michigan, Howard, or Yale?" The Black Excel African American Student's College Guide puts that answer at you fingertips.
Our 100 Minority Scholarship Gateway List is at http://www.blackexcel.org/100minority.htm
Black Excel has the TOP SCHOLARSHIP gateway for minority students on the Internet. Go to: http://www.BlackExcel.org/link4.htm
Click on book image.
Newsletter by Isaac Black, Founder
Black Excel: The College Help Network
SEND MAIL TO:
Black Excel: The College Help Network
244 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10001-7604
Voicemail: (212) 591-1936
Black Excel has 501c (3) nonprofit status with the IRS.
Tip: To maximize your child's college options (getting in, aid, scholar- ships), check out the Black Excel African American Student's College Guide. It's only $13.95 at Amazon.com.
--Isaac Black, author and Black Excel Founder.
(Information provided by Isaac Black, Founder, Black Excel:
The College Help Network.)
The Black Excel African American Student's College Guide,
by Black Excel Founder Isaac Black,
is now on sale at Amazon.com for $13.96.
Need money for college? Use FastWeb's free scholarship search to find information on more than 600,000 scholarships!